Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada believes it is important to support Canadian healthcare professionals and offers Canadian healthcare professionals medical grants covering five therapeutic areas. The company also supports initiatives aimed at education for patients.
When evaluating applications, Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada looks for programs that develop or increase the knowledge that will ultimately improve health care for Canadians.
Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada primarily supports educational activities aligned with our areas of expertise and is currently accepting grant requests in the following therapeutic areas:
To apply for medical education grant funding, please submit your request online by clicking on the link below.
If this is the first time that you are applying via our electronic request system, or if you submitted your last request before September 2014, you will be asked to set up your user login and organization profile before proceeding with the grant application.
If you are unable to complete your application in one session, you may save a partially completed application and return to it later.
You will need to attach the following documents to your online application:
- a request submitted on original letterhead: If attendees are permitted please indicate in the letter.
- a copy of the agenda or program objectives.
- a complete DETAILED budget form for the total amount of the activity, not for the requested amount.
Before you begin, please ensure that you have the required documents available in pdf format.
Download the Budget Form here, once filled in save as a pdf document in order to attach it to your online application
IMPORTANT: The grant review process generally takes eight (8) weeks. No request will be reviewed until a complete grant request and all required supplementary materials are received.
For answers to frequently asked questions regarding medical grants, please see the frequently asked questions section below.
Bristol-Myers Squibb will no longer accept applications for individual HCP medical education travel sponsorships.
For information and to apply for a charitable donation from Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada, please visit the Charitable Donations section of the BMS Canada website.
Medical Education Grants
Frequently Asked Questions
Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada considers many factors when evaluating requests for a medical education grant. Grants will be:
- Awarded only for a legitimate educational, health-related or scientific purpose in predefined areas of therapeutic interest
- Limited to a reasonable estimate of the cost of the grant-funded activity
- Made without any expectation on behalf of the company or its employees of any benefit in return for the grant, including no expectation of any influence upon the purchase or prescribing of products
Made to a Qualified Institution: Humanitarian associations, Health care related associations and communities, hospitals, universities or clinics, other professional and educational associations (i.e. third-party independent medical education provider).
NOTE: Private practices are not considered a Qualified Institution.
If several requests are received for the same educational objective, Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada will attempt to give priority to the proposal with the most significant potential impact on the health of the community.
Approval by Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada of medical education grants in previous years does not guarantee future support. Each grant request is evaluated on its individual merits relative to other requests.
Medical education grants will not be provided for:
- Investigator sponsored research (investigator-sponsored research grant requests are considered under a separate program. Click here for more information.)
- Phase IV company-sponsored clinical trials
- Outcomes research studies
- Infrastructure and/or resources with a general application beyond that of the proposed educational activity
- Retroactive funding for a program or activity that has already occurred
- Requests for additional funding where Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada has already given a grant
- Requests to add programs or activities where content has already been developed.
Grants are not permitted if the applicant / potential recipient is a member of a:
- Decision-making authority which determines government policy on issues such as treatment guidelines or reimbursement
- Regulatory agency that makes decisions regarding registration issues related to Bristol-Myers Squibb products
- Public or private institution boards making purchasing decisions regarding Bristol-Myers Squibb products
To submit an online request, you need the following documentation, in pdf format:
- A formal request submitted on original letterhead
- a completed budget form for the total amount of the activity
- a copy of the agenda or program objectives.
Yes, Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada accepts grant requests throughout the year.
Applications for Medical Grants as well as all supporting documentation must be submitted through the online application process. For additional information please contact Ms. Joanna Kalimeris at 514-333-2276 or by email at [email protected].
NO REQUEST WILL BE REVIEWED UNTIL A COMPLETE GRANT REQUEST AND ALL REQUIRED SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS ARE RECEIVED.
The medical education grant review and approval process is separate from any product promotional activities. This separation protects both requestors and the company from any perception that funding is made to induce or reward support for business, rather than the merit of the request itself. A grant committee reviews and makes the decision.
Review times vary depending on the size and nature of the request but the average review time is eight (8) weeks. You can help minimize the review timeline by ensuring the application is complete and all required documentation is submitted with the application.
You will receive e-mail confirmation when your application is received.
You may be contacted to provide additional information. All communication will occur via e-mail.
When the review of your application is completed you will receive written notification of an approval or denial. Please do not consider any request approved until you have received written notification.